While the date may vary, the purpose of Mother’s Day is to recognize and appreciate all that mothers do for their children regardless of where they are in the world. There have been many different ways to celebrate Mother’s Day since its conception in the early 1900s. Some common traditions include giving gifts, sending cards, and spending time with family.
In this article, we will explore some of the most popular Mother’s Day traditions around the world. Perhaps you can adopt one or two of them to make the holiday even more special for your mom.
10 Mother’s Day Traditions and Ideas You Can Try
1. Breakfast in Bed
Breakfast in bed is a classic way to show how much you care. It’s a simple gesture that can make her feel loved and appreciated. If you’re not a great cook, consider ordering or preparing a simple meal like pancakes or eggs. You can also make the breakfast extra special by serving it on a tray with flowers and her favorite book or magazine.
- Tip: If you plan on making breakfast, do some prep work the night before so you can sleep in and enjoy a leisurely morning with your mom.
2. Handmade Gifts
A thoughtful, handmade gift is always cherished. It’s a great way to show your mom how much you care without spending much money. You can make her a card, frame a family photo, or put together a homemade gift basket with her favorite things.
Additionally, many towns and cities have Mother’s Day markets or fairs where you can find unique, handcrafted gifts. These make great last-minute presents if you’re short on time.
- Tip: Get the whole family involved in making mom a unique handmade gift. It’s a great way to spend time together and show her how much she means to all of you.
3. Flower Gifts and Delivery
Flowers are always a welcome gift, and they can be delivered right to your mom’s door. Many florists offer special Mother’s Day bouquets and arrangements. You can also send a plant that she can enjoy for years to come. You can consider picking wildflowers from a nearby park or field if you’re on a budget.
Some of the best flowers you can get for Mother’s Day includes:
Roses: A rose is a classic symbol of love and appreciation. Red roses are typically associated with romantic love, yellow roses represent friendship, and white roses symbolize purity.
Lilies: Lilies are beautiful and fragrant flowers that come in many colors. They’re often given to mothers on Mother’s Day to symbolize purity and innocence.
Carnations: Carnations are one of the most popular flowers given on Mother’s Day. They come in various colors, and each color has a different meaning. For example, pink carnations represent a mother's love, while red carnations symbolize admiration.
Flowers are also a great way to show your mom how much you care if you live far away and can’t be with her on Mother’s Day. You can have flowers delivered to her door or even send a bouquet in the mail.
- Tip: Add a personal touch to your flower gift by including a handwritten note. You can also attach a small charm or trinket to the bouquet.
4. Spa Day
What better way to relax and rejuvenate than a day at the spa? Most spas offer special Mother’s Day packages like massages, facials, and manicures. This is a great way to show your mom how much you appreciate all she does.
If you can’t afford a day at the spa, you can always create your spa day at home. Draw your mom a relaxing bath, give her a massage, or do her nails.
- Tip: Make sure you schedule your mom’s spa day in advance so she can enjoy it stress-free.
5. Go Out to Eat
Treating your mom to a nice meal is always a good idea. You can go out to her favorite restaurant or try somewhere new. You can hire a babysitter if you have young children and make it a special date night.
Some restaurants offer special Mother’s Day brunches or prix-fixe menus. This is an excellent option if you want to celebrate with extended family or friends.
- Tip: Make reservations in advance to ensure you get a table at your desired time.
6. Take a Trip
Going on a trip is a great way to bond and create lasting memories. You can plan a weekend getaway to a nearby city or take a longer trip somewhere you’ve always wanted to go.
If you can’t get away for an extended period, you can always plan a day trip. Visit a nearby museum, take a hike, or go shopping in a town you’ve never been to before. Some of the best places to include:
- Beach: Spend a day relaxing on the sand and swimming in the waves.
- Mountains: Go for a hike or take in the scenic views.
- Vineyard: Spend the day wine tasting and enjoying the beautiful countryside.
Additionally, many cities offer Mother’s Day events, such as concerts or shows. This is a great option if you want to do something special but don’t have the time or money to travel.
- Tip: Pick a destination that your mom will love. If she’s an avid reader, plan
7. Give a Donation
If your mom is passionate about a particular cause, you can donate in her name. This is a great way to show your support and make a difference simultaneously.
Some charities and organizations accept Mother’s Day donations. Some of the most popular include:
- The American Heart Association: The American Heart Association is dedicated to fighting heart disease and stroke. You can make a donation on their website or by mailing in a check.
- The American Cancer Society: The American Cancer Society is a nonprofit organization that funds research, education, and patient support programs. You can make a donation on their website or by calling 1-800-227-2345.
- The Humane Society: The Humane Society is an organization that works to protect animals from cruelty and neglect. You can donate on their website or by mailing in a check.
Many schools and hospitals have donation programs that allow you to donate money, books, or other items.
- Tip: Choose a charity or organization close to your mom’s heart. If you don’t know where to start, ask her what cause she is most passionate about.
8. Give a Gift Card
A gift card is a great way to let your mom pick out her present. You can get a gift card to her favorite store, restaurant, or online retailer. If you want to get creative, you can put together a gift basket with a few different gift cards.
Some stores also offer special Mother’s Day promotions where you can get a bonus card when you purchase a certain amount. This is a great way to save money and get your mom an extra present.
- Tip: Make sure you get a gift card that can be used at multiple locations. Your mom can use it how she wants and doesn’t have to spend it all in one place.
9. Get Some Pictures Framed
If you have some old photos of your mom, consider getting them framed. You can put together a collage or frame a single photo. This is a great way to show your mom how much you appreciate her.
You can also get creative and frame some other items, such as:
- Tickets to a show or concert
- A copy of her favorite book
- A map of her hometown
- A certificate or diploma
- Tip: Make sure you use high-quality frames and matting. This will ensure that your pictures look their best and last for years.
10. Engrave Gifts
If you want to give your mom a unique gift, consider engraving it. You can have anything engraved, from jewelry to picture frames. This is a great way to add a personal touch to your gift.
Many places offer engraving services. You can usually find these services at jewelry stores, trophy shops, and department stores.
- Tip: When choosing what to have engraved, think about what would mean the most to your mom. If you are unsure, consider engraving a quote or her initials.
Unique Mother’s Day Traditions Around the World
There are many different Mother’s Day traditions around the world. Here are some of the most popular:
In Argentina, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the third Sunday in October. Families come together to have a big meal and spend time together. Mothers often receive gifts, such as flowers, jewelry, and chocolates.
In Australia, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May. Families often give gifts to their mothers, such as flowers, cards, and chocolates. They may also take their mothers out to lunch or dinner.
In Brazil, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May. Families often give their mothers flowers, cards, and chocolates. They may also take their mothers out to lunch or dinner.
In Canada, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May. Families often give their mothers flowers, cards, and chocolates. They may also take their mothers out to lunch or dinner.
In China, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May. Families often give their mothers flowers, cards, and chocolates. They may also take their mothers out to lunch or dinner.
In Japan, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May. Families often give their mothers flowers, cards, and chocolates. They may also take their mothers out to lunch or dinner.
In Mexico, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the tenth of May. Families often give their mothers flowers, cards, and chocolates. They may also take their mothers out to lunch or dinner.
Start Your Own Mother’s Day Tradition
There are many different ways to celebrate Mother’s Day. You can choose to do something traditional, such as giving your mom a gift or taking her out to lunch. You can also try something unique, such as getting your mom a framed picture or engraving a gift.
No matter how you choose to celebrate, the most important thing is to show your mom how much you love and appreciate her.
If you’re looking forward to starting a new Mothers Day tradition, check out Picture It Custom. Check out our collection of custom gifts that is perfect for any mother. From metal prints to engravings, we have something for everyone.